Ireland


The week of St. Patrick's Day always brings me thinking back upon my two (1989 and 1991) trips to Ireland. While Ireland might not be your choice travel destination, the country has a wealth in breath taking scenery to see. It is the country of some of the greatest music bands like U2 , and the greatest writers: C.S. Lewis, Maevy Binchy, Yeats, Oscar Wilde, Joyce, George Bernard Shaw, and Bram Stoker. Doesn't that alone just want you to hope on a plane and head of too Ireland. Dublin is the largest city in Ireland and probably has just about a pub for every person in the city. The pubs are actually the heart of Ireland and even if you do not drink you will be able to find a great meal and great conversation with the locals. It is also home to Trinity College and St. James Cathedral. The city is easy to get around and one does not need a car to get around. My favorite city is Cork which also makes for a good home base to visit Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney Stone. Kissing the stone has sure given me the gift of the gab. We stayed in the Blarney Park Hotel. Don't forget to pick up some Irish crystal or a Irish knit sweater at the Woolen Mills. You will also want to miss Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. While I haven't been there yet, but my mother has and she loves this castle. It is on my list of next things to see when I go to Ireland again. Perfect for children because the attendants dress up in Medieval clothes. You can even attend a traditional Irish Medieval dinner. However, if you go to Ireland you must and I mean must go see the Cliffs of Moher. One can only feel closer to God when visiting these beautiful cliffs. Can't afford a ticket to Ireland than I would recommend the next best thing which is to watch one of these movies that feature Ireland, The Commitments, P.S. I Love You, The Quiet Man, Evelyn, The Secret of Roan Inish, Circle of Friends, Tara Road, Leap Year, The Match Maker, and my favorite The Waking of Ned Devine.

Comments

Melly Mel said…
Oh my goodness!! I want to go to Ireland so badly; especially after reading this. I want to. I love Waking Ned Devine and PS I love you. Great movies!!! I hope you get to go back soon!

Popular Posts