Sacred Art!



On Tuesday, I made my way to the art museum while Frank worked. Wandering the street of Brera you will find cute cafes, bakeries, art studios, and a collective mix of boutiques. The Brera art museum is a little tricky to find because if you don't know to go upstairs you might just think that the building a little run down. Statues covered in tarps line the hallway, and art studios can be seen as you walk past the open doors. It turns out that they do a lot of art restoration in this museum, and you can even watch the process up in the art gallery. As I said, you need to go upstairs where as you walk through the gift shop you will locate the ticket counter. No credit cards are accepted, so make sure you have cash. I would say a good 2/3 of the art is Renaissance themed painting from the 1400's. There are a few earlier pieces and a few from the 1800's, so come prepared to see Madonna and Child and The Crucifixion of Christ-themed artworks. Currently, they are hosting a modern-day artist which was a great way to break up the ever so many paintings from this time period. Afterward, I took the train to the Garibaldi Metro station and walked the 4 or 5 long blocks to the National Monument Cemetery. This place is amazing. I have never seen graves decorated in such a glorious way. I know it sounds kind of nuts to visit a cemetery while on vacation, but this should not be missed. I had fun making up stories in my mind in regards to the people's lives. So sweet and loving tributes were given. It started to rain, so I headed back to the hotel to enjoy a hot warm shower, cozy bed, a hot warm prosciutto panini with a Coke Zero while watching German TV on the hotel's cable.




Address for the art museum.
Via Brera 28
Area Milan
Transport Metro Lanza or Montenapoleone/bus 61, 67/tram 1, 2, 8, 12, 14.
Piazzale Cimitero Monumentale, 2
20100 Milano
Phone: +39 02 88465600
Fax: +39 02 653607
Opening hours
Tuesday – Sunday 8.30 – 17.30
Monday Closed

Office hours
Monday – Saturday 8.30 – 12.30
and 13.30 – 16.30

Transport from the center
Bus: 41 – 51 – 70 – 94
Tram: 30 – 29 – 33 – 11 –
12 – 14 – 3 – 4
Subway: M2
Railway Station: F.S. Garibaldi

Comments

Arctic Mum said…
Hi, have looked through your Italy photos, looks fantastic. It must me so nice to go on a trip just the two grown ups, it's great for a relationship! I hope to do that when the children get a bit older. Happy 39th birthday! ( I think it'll be ok to be 40, I mean, the rest of the world will be 40 at some point too, and people still seem happy..)
Buckeroomama said…
No, it's not crazy at all to visit a cemetery while on vacation. :) One of my most memorable visits was to the Cimitiere du Pere Lachaise while in Paris. I could spend hours walking through that cemetery if not for a pre-arranged meeting that I had to get to. :)
Anonymous said…
Very good trip in Italy !!!
;) said…
I saw this place thirty years ago! Emotion!

Thanks for this beautiful visit. Have a nice time.
shayndel said…
Incredible treasures!
Enjoy all the precious moments!!!

Popular Posts