Cashew Chicken and The Week from HE Double Hockey Sticks!

WOW!  This week was long.  My husband has been out of town all week and boy being a single parent to 5 children is not for the faint in heart.  The hardest part was that I didn't have a second driver, so that left it all up to me.  On Tuesday, I think I spent about 4 1/2 hours in the car!  It doesn't help that this city has some of the worst traffic in the United States.  All I can say is I am glad that it is the weekend and tomorrow I can sleep in!  I have been getting up every morning to drive my son to the train station.  The train station is about a half-hour away from my house.  Coming home from the train station at night takes about 45 minutes.  I guess I shouldn't complain because if I had to drive him all the way into the city we would be looking at a 1 1/2 hour drive due to the traffic.  If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that the girls got into some diaper cream and covered themselves and the playroom with the cream.  The worst part was the carpets. I just about cried. After two hours of scrubbing, I gave up and called a carpet cleaner who was thankfully able to get it out!  Another night, I left the girls with my older son so that I could take Winston to his church youth group activity and the girls found the scissors and cut their hair.  Once again, thankfully they didn't go hog while and only cut off a strand on each other's heads.  On top of this, we have had construction crews hear all week finishing up the backyard patio.  The noise from the power washers and saws makes me want to check into the crazy house. Now you can see why I am glad this week is over,  The only good discovery of the week was finding out how easy it is to make Cashew Chicken.  Reading that book on China got me in the mood for Chinese Food.  I don't know why I always think it is hard to make, but it isn't.  If you like Chinese food you have to try this recipe.

adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe

Cashew Chicken
3 chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 a head of broccoli cut into bite-size pieces and cooked until tender.
2 Tablespoons of Canola Oil
1Tablespoon of cornstarch
3/4 cup of cashews
6 Tablespoons of minced garlic
8 scallions cut
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
6 Tablespoons of hoisin sauce
1/4 cup of water.
Serve with brown or white rice

Toss chicken with salt, pepper, and cornstarch.  Brown in oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the chicken is almost cooked add garlic, scallions, and broccoli.  Whisk together rice wine, hoisin sauce, and water and pour over chicken.  Cook for about another minute or two until the sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. I hope you all have a great weekend!  We are off to the pool and counting down the minutes when my husbands plane arrives from Bonaire tomorrow night.  

Comments

Popular Posts