Settling in and Beating the Heat

We are in the second week of school.  The children are settling in and we are starting to get into a routine.  I am grateful that we still have a few more weeks before their after school activities begin. This mama is the one who is having a hard time adapting from the summer schedule.  I am missing my lazy morning sleeping in as I am no fan of waking up in the dark. Getting up at 6:15 is too early for me. Winston is going to continue with soccer this year.  Roman is doing Battle of the Books which is a program where the children read books and then at the end of the year there is a competition where they gather in the team and then go against other teams where they answer questions about the books they have read. He is also doing Cub Scouts.  Harris is continuing with FBLA and working towards completing his Eagle Scout project along with getting his driver's license.  Then I want to sign up the girls for something.  In the last couple of years, they did a mother and my music class, but I think I want them to do ballet or gymnastics.  I just need to see if we can find a class that will fit into our already busy schedule.  Lately, we have been spending every afternoon at the pool.  It has been so hot here!  I don't think I have ever been so ready for fall to come.  In an effort to keep the oven off, I have been making lots of salads and sandwiches.  I recently found this recipe and while it wasn't a huge hit with the children I am pretty sure I will be making it again at least for my girlfriends.

recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Orzo with Arugula and Cherries
1 pound of orzo cooked
3 giant heaps of arugula 
3/4 cups of dried cherries
1 fennel bulb minus leaves sliced
1 medium onion
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
dressing
1/3 cup of apple vinegar
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt

In a sautee pan caramelize the onion in olive oil and salt. In a quart pan boil water and cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.  Wash the fennel, cut in half and slice.  The combine pasta with onion, dried cherries, arugula, and fennel.  Then in a bowl whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, and mustard.  The pour-over pasta.  It can be eaten cold or hot!  

Comments

Buckeroomama said…
We love Battle of the Books! J did that last year and will be doing it again this year. :)
Francesca said…
Funny how "orzo" in italian is barley, and in US english it's a pasta shape!
4 Lettre Words said…
2 weeks down! :)

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds delish!
D.Nambiar said…
6:15 is too early for me too.
I hope we'll get into school mode soon. :) All the best for the new school year. Have a fab, weekend, y'all.

Popular Posts